2. What Causes Excess Body Fat?
The causes of excess body fat are multifaceted and can include a combination of genetic, physiological, behavioral, and environmental factors. A primary cause is an energy imbalance where the number of calories consumed surpasses the amount expended through daily activities and metabolic processes. This imbalance can be attributed to:
– Poor dietary choices high in calories, fats, and sugars
– Sedentary lifestyle lacking sufficient physical activity
– Genetic predisposition affecting metabolism and fat storage
– Hormonal imbalances, such as hypothyroidism or Cushing’s syndrome
– Psychological factors like stress and emotional eating
– Certain medications that promote weight gain
– Sleep deprivation, which can disrupt appetite-regulating hormones
Understanding these causes is crucial in developing effective strategies for managing and reducing excess body fat.